Thursday, March 3, 2011

MISINFORMATION and DEBATE

Yesterday local radio reported on information out of Nanaimo, BC regarding an air operator negotiating with an airport to operate a flight into Bellingham (BLI). I'd say that's pretty good reporting since it was a little story about a little airport but it was picked up here.

What's sad, however, is that many people here didn't actually READ the article. They saw the headline and read a few lines and ASSUMED the negotiations were between another airline and our own Port staff at our airport. Oops!

In fact, according to Port staff this was the first they'd heard about a new airline potentially flying into BLI. And guess what? It's because they READ the article. The article clearly stated that a BC operator on Vancouver Isl. was in early discussions with the airport at Nanaimo.

So here's the deal people. Criticize, engage, debate, whatever but please, please, please understand the issue before ya go off half-cocked. Seriously!

And I will tell you why.

When you have less than all the information then I don't have any fun debating and I love to debate -- it drives my girlfriend crazy! I love to convince or be convinced. I love the give and take.

I love to arm wrestle issues and I don't mind losing debates on the facts but it's really, really tiresome debating issues when the other person is trying to debate headlines but has no depth to their argument.

So people do this: get ALL the facts, call me up, put me on the spot and engage me, convince me.

Here's my phone number: 360-201-7199

No comments:

Post a Comment